Software Compliance Policy
Section: Policy Manual
Policy Title: Software Compliance Policy
Policy Owner (section/department):
I. PURPOSEThis policy is all about best practices for lawfully proper and efficient software management, purpose of which is to 1) encourage the lawful use of copyright-protected materials; 2) respect the rights of ownership of intellectual property; and 3) protect <Name of Company> against risk of copyright infringement.
Ultimate goal is to avoid consequences associated with illegal software use.
In this policy outlines the establishment of responsibility of accountable officers and employees, accurate inventory maintenance, compliance to licensing agreements, and effective allocation of software applications.
II. SCOPE AND APPLICABILITYThis policy applies to all officers and employees of <Name of Company> who are accountable for the purchase, inventory, issuance and use of licensed software.
III. DEFINITION OF TERMSCOPYRIGHT. Refers to the ownership of intellectual property.
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. Refers to the innovations and creative expressions of the minds, to which products of these minds have commercial value and are granted exclusive rights.
SOFTWARE LICENSE. Refers to the legal permission governing ownership and usage or redistribution of software. Depending on its purpose, software license can either fall under proprietary software licenses or under free software licenses.
COMPLIANCE. Refers to the state of being in accordance with established policies and procedures or guidelines.
IV. COMMENCEMENTThis policy commences on the date of its approval.
V. POLICYRespect and adherence of <Name of Company> to all computer software copyrights is a must. Therefore, the following shall be promulgated as follows:
1. Officers and employees shall use all software in accordance to its corresponding license agreements.
2. No employee shall copy or distribute or reproduce software that violates copyright laws.
3. The Software Compliance Team shall be designated to review all software requests, prior to recommending it for purchase and/or issuance. In the review and recommendation of software requests, the following shall be taken into topmost consideration:
• Efficiency and effectiveness; and
• The most valid need for such requested software in accomplishing job duties and responsibilities
The Compliance team shall be responsible for the following:
a. Make sure that all computer users of <Name of Company> shall be compliant in all aspects by conducting regular, surprise or on-the-spot or unannounced PC audits.
b. Maintain and perform a regular inventory of the <Name of Company>’s software asset. The following shall be included on the inventory:
• List of requisition and issuances
• Accountable officers and employees for all issuances
• Identified sources of software:
Selected purchases made from other countries
Software developed by <Name of Company>
Downloaded from the Internet
• For licensed software, proofs of company ownership, such as, but is not limited to, official receipts, contracts or agreements, sales invoice, and installers.
c. Installation of approved software requests and removal of software that has no documented approval (considered as unauthorized software).
d. Transfer of software from one PC to another due to employee resignation or transfer from one section to another (when employee no longer needs previously accounted software on his new assigned task). All transfer of software from one PC to another shall be properly documented and accounted.
• If software is OEM, definitely no transfer from one PC to another. OEM shall remain on the PC where it was initially installed.
• If FPP and/or OLP, application shall be deleted from the PC prior to installing it to PC of the next authorized user.
VI. ENFORCEMENTAny offense/violation, or attempted offense/violation to this policy shall be dealt with in accordance to the company's Code of Conduct and shall be subjected to disciplinary actions, which includes, but not limited to, revocation of software account privileges, suspension, dismissal, prosecution and restitution for damages according to the severity of the offense.
INVOLVEMENT IN THE INFRACTION SHALL INCLUDE, BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO, PARTICIPATION, ENCOURAGING, AIDING OR FAILING TO REPORT KNOWN OFFENSES.
VII. REPEALING CLAUSEAll existing policies, and other issuances or parts thereof, which are inconsistent with this Policy, are hereby repealed, amended or modified accordingly.
In view of the changes on technology, the nature of threats and vulnerabilities, this Policy shall be reviewed annually, or as the need arises, and revised accordingly.
Any and all changes, revisions, and modifications shall take into effect only upon approval of the authorized signatory.
Any exceptions to this policy shall likewise be explicitly reviewed by the Software Compliance Team and approved by top management.
VIII. APPROVAL<Name of Approving Authority>
Download This Document:
Software Compliance Policy.doc
Software Compliance Policy.pdf